A deliciously simple and low fat fish dinner
Preparation Time: 50 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 1 small aubergine , about 250g/9oz, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp ground paprika
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dark or light muscovado sugar
- 8 large basil leaves , plus a few extra for sprinkling
- 4 4x175g/6oz firm skinless white fish fillets, such as haddock
1. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and stirfry the onion and aubergine. After about 4 minutes the vegetables will start to turn golden but won't be soft yet, so cover with a lid and let the vegetables steam-fry in their own juices for 6 minutes - this helps them to soften without needing to add any extra oil.
2. Stir in the paprika, garlic, tomatoes and sugar with 1⁄2 tsp salt and cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring, until onion and aubergine are tender.
3. Scatter in the basil leaves then nestle the fish in the sauce, cover the pan and cook for 6-8 minutes until the fish flakes when tested with a knife and the flesh is firm but still moist. Tear over the rest of the basil and serve with a salad and crusty bread.
Ffat 4 g
Saturated fat 1g
Salt 0.5 g
SOURCE: Haddock in Tomato and Basil Sauce